Inland Empire, CA – The Inland Empire Utilities Agency (IEUA/Agency) recognizes May as Water Awareness Month and encourages the public to be mindful of its water footprint through the sustainable use of our water resources.
Celebrated annually in May, Water Awareness Month highlights the importance of California’s water resources in supporting environmental and physical health, and symbolizes the start of typical peak water usage due to an increase in temperature. To encourage water-use efficiency and awareness, IEUA will be educating the community on the importance of saving water and publishing four “Water Awareness Quizzes” on the Agency’s social media channels where participants will have the opportunity to win a water-wise giveaway package.
“It is always a good time to remind others to use water resources efficiently, which is especially important as we progress into the summer season,” stated IEUA Board President Jasmin A. Hall. “Water Awareness Month is the perfect time to encourage residents to upgrade to a water-wise landscape, check outdoor irrigation systems for efficiencies and take advantage of local water saving rebates and programs.”
Follow these tips for even more water savings:
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your sidewalk and driveway.
- Water your lawn in the early morning or late evening to reduce evaporation.
- Incorporate California native plants and flowers into your landscape.
- Use drips or bubblers to irrigate your flower and shrub beds. Replace spray head nozzles with rotator nozzles.
- While hand watering your yard, focus on dry spots and pay close attention to avoid runoff.
“Each of us play an integral role in protecting our water resources, not only during Water Awareness Month but all year long,” continued Hall.
Water-saving reminders and links to the Water Awareness Quizzes can be found on IEUA’s social media channels @IEUAWater. For additional tips or to learn more about the Agency’s water-use efficiency rebates and programs, visit www.ieua.org/save-your-water/.