Inland Empire, California- The Inland Empire Utilities Agency (IEUA/Agency) celebrates July as Smart Irrigation Month. Since 2005, the Irrigation Association® has implemented this public outreach campaign to teach the community about the importance of applying efficient water practices outdoors through simple tips and advanced water technology.
“Up to 60-70% of the average household water use is for irrigation purposes. Poor irrigation system design or incorrect installation and maintenance can lead to runoff and overwatering,” said IEUA Board President Paul Hofer. “Smart irrigation is essential for every home’s landscape as it significantly reduces the amount of water wasted outside of the home.”
For the second year in a row, IEUA will be giving away free hose nozzles to residents within the Agency’s service area – Chino, Chino Hills, Fontana, Montclair, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, and Upland – in recognition of Smart Irrigation Month. As an additional incentive, IEUA will be giving away water saving kits to those who follow us on our social media channel(s) @IEUAwater. The nozzles are limited to two per household, and the water saving kits are limited to one per household and are available for the month of July while supplies last.
“It is timely that Smart Irrigation Month is in July when temperatures start to rise dramatically. The more awareness and education that is available, the more water-saving techniques are utilized, thus preserving our region’s water supply,” continued Hofer.
IEUA recommends following these important tips:
- Water responsibly by checking your city’s/water district’s ordinances that can include restrictions on watering schedules and water waste.
- Only water your landscape a few minutes at a time while checking for run-off.
- Be sure to detect and repair all leaks.
- Install high efficiency sprinkler nozzles, drip irrigation or moisture sensor systems on irrigation systems.
- Consider replacing your existing irrigation controller with a Smart Controller. Smart Controllers save water by automatically adjusting to changes in the weather and the needs of your landscape, and account for plant types, soil conditions, location, climate, and other landscape conditions.
For more tips on efficient irrigation, rebates and resources visit ieuadev.wpengine.com.
Please visit IEUA’s headquarters, Building A, 6075 Kimball Avenue, Chino from the hours of 8am-5pm, MondayThursday, to receive your free hose nozzles and water saving kit.
Andrea Carruthers, Manager of External Affairs
(909) 993.1935 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Inland Empire Utilities Agency covers 242-square miles, distributes imported water, provides industrial/municipal wastewater collection and treatment services, and other related utility services to more than 875,000 people through its member agencies which include Chino, Chino Hills, Cucamonga Valley Water District, Fontana, Fontana Water Company, Montclair, Monte Vista Water District, Ontario, and Upland.