About the Campaign
Kick the Habit is a public awareness campaign to increase awareness about the drought and promote changes in water use that will ensure the sustainability of our water supply for future generations.
One of the easiest ways to reduce water use is to change out water-wasting fixtures, appliances and plumbing. A variety of rebates are available for toilets, clothes washers, sprinkler controllers, rain barrels and much more. Visit SoCalWaterSmart for information on water and money saving rebates.
For most homes, water used outdoors makes up the majority of household water use. While there are a variety of ways to conserve, outdoor conservation is often the easiest place to start and has the greatest impact.
Helpful conservation tips:
- Limit outdoor irrigation and turn off completely when measurable rainfall occurs. Each city has a different ordinance regarding limits on outdoor watering, so check with your local water agency to determine the requirements you must follow. (Links are below.)
- Consider planting a drought tolerant plant pallet and irrigating with a drip system.
- Check outdoor sprinklers regularly, adjust to ensure they are watering the plants and not the concrete. Fix broken sprinklers as needed.
- Run only full loads in the dishwasher and the washing machine.
- Take shorter showers.
- Install high efficiency fixtures.