Inland Empire Utilities Agency originally named the Chino Basin Municipal Water District (CBMWD), was formed in 1950 to supply supplemental water to the region. Since its formation, the Agency has expanded its areas of responsibility from a supplemental water supplier to a regional wastewater treatment agency with domestic and industrial disposal systems and energy recovery/production facilities.
In addition, the Agency has become a recycled water purveyor, biosolids/fertilizer treatment provider and continues as a leader in water supply salt management, for the purpose of protecting the regions vital groundwater supplies.
On July 1, 1998, the CBMWD officially became the Inland Empire Utilities Agency. The name change was meant to reflect the changes in the District’s mission.
Today, IEUA continues to work to ensure that reliable services, which protect the environment while fostering economic development, are readily available when needed. IEUA’s 242 square mile service mile area is located in the southwest corner of San Bernardino County, approximately 35 miles east of Los Angeles, and provides regional wastewater service and imported water deliveries to eight contracting agencies. These contracting agencies include the: